We all have a soft corner for vintage fountain pens, even though we have many modern, easy-to-use pens these days. Those who still possess a flair for writing on paper instead of computer screens would love the feeling of holding a beautiful fountain pen.
Contrary to the misconception, fountain pens need not be expensive, high-maintenance, or difficult. You can find inexpensive and low-maintenance fountain pens in the market, which still give you the quintessential feeling when you write. However, if you are really passionate, you can invest in a high-quality pen as well.
This short guide will take you to meet some of the best fountain pens that you can finely use even as a beginner. We have discussed some of the essential factors that beginners need to understand to invest in a good quality fountain pen that would last years. So, check out our list below with the best fountain pens for beginners that would be affordable, convenient, and give you a great writing experience.
9 Best Fountain Pen For Beginners
Here are 5 of the best fountain pens in your budget that will be a great choice for beginners:
The first fairly inexpensive fountain pen we would suggest you is from Pilot Metropolitan. It’s one of the most popular and well-reviewed pens available easily online. At this price, it gives you a commendable writing experience and is a great way to begin your journey in the world of classy fountain pens.
Wrapped in a gift box, the pen has a fine nib and offers clean and smooth lines. It comes with a converter, which you can use to squeeze the ink and release it into the pen. It is definitely the best fountain pen for beginners at such an affordable price and can easily become one of your most prized possessions, really. At least mine did when I first started out a few years ago.
- Ink doesn’t leak.
- Sturdy plastic body.
- Ideal weight for beginners.
- Easily refillable with both converter and cartridge.
- Smooth writing without scratches.
- The converter is a bit small.
Lamy Safari has always been a dependable choice since the 80s. It is one of the most recommended beginner fountain pens available on the market today.
The ABS plastic body makes it sturdy and extremely durable. They won’t break or chip away easily. It also makes them extremely light for those who are new to fountain pens.
The pen has a steel nib with a fine point for smooth writing. It comes with a pre-loaded cartridge, but you can also use a compatible converter later. It’s a great pen to begin with and has almost no downsides.
- Looks elegant.
- Very inexpensive i.e affordable.
- Comes with a pre-loaded cartridge.
- Offers very smooth writing experience.
- The grip may not be suitable for all.
The Faber Castell Grip 2011 is a great contender in the entry-level section of fountain pens. At a moderate price, it is definitely worth a try for all beginners.
The design is similar to the Grip pencil by Faber Castell and has a triangular shape. The rubberized dots on the body make the grip really comfortable and adds a really nice feel when writing. The molded grip section makes it a better choice than the Lamy Safari.
The fine nib proves to be decent enough while writing and is very easy to use throughout the day. It looks stylish with the dotted nib and the signature Faber Castell logo engraved on it too.
- Beautiful design
- Comfortable grip
- Good construction
- Smoothly caps and uncaps
- Writing may feel a bit scratchy at first.
Jinhao X450 is one of the cheapest fountain pens for beginners. Try this classy-looking pen that comes within $10 price range and gives you a marvelous experience to start with.
The beautiful metal body makes it a bit heavy like the traditional fountain pens, but it feels amazing to hold it in your hand. Moreover, the robust construction makes it quite durable option in the long run.
The Jinhao X450 comes with a piston converter to draw in ink from a bottle for the classic old style fountain pen experience. The medium nib offers smooth writing to most people unless you wish to have an extra-fine nib for your handwriting.
Looking for a stylish pen that doesn’t burn a hole in your pocket, but doesn’t look cheap either? Well, this is definitely the one to choose. The golden nib with the engraved Jinhao logo of a horse drawing a carriage gives it a sophisticated and stylish appearance. The low price at which you can get such things is unbelievable.
- Extremely elegant
- Ink runs a long time after refilling
- Very cheap (one of the cheapest)
- Smooth writing
- Sturdy metal body
- It may feel heavy for some users with its 44 grams weight
Kaweco brings you another fantastic entry-level fountain pen that works with both cartridges and converters. You can easily buy them for under $20 and have a beautiful writing experience as a newcomer to the world of fountain pens.
Check out the four available colors, named, ‘Bad Taste’, ‘Indian Summer’, ‘Cotton Candy’ and ‘Old Chambray’. The peppy color combinations are fun to carry around and look smart.
The molded grip isn’t uncomfortable, but this is one area that varies from person to person. The edges may not appeal equally to all.
The plastic body is lightweight and doesn’t tire your arms. The 0.9mm nib is smooth and provides a decent ink supply for smooth writing. Overall, if you want a stylish fountain pen to carry around till you shift to a higher-end pen for future use, this would be good enough for a few years.
- Accepts all international standard ink cartridges.
- Smooth writing
- Smart colors
- Available in medium sized nib only.
Different types of Fountain Pen to choose from
What to Look For While Buying The Best Fountain Pens For Beginners
Beginners find it difficult to understand the terms associated with fountain pens. Here is some necessary information to equip you with the knowledge to buy your first fountain pen. Check the important factors to purchase the best fountain pen for beginners.
A fountain pen’s nib is very crucial. Beginners must be cautious about the nib size while choosing the pen for the first time. There are fine, medium, and broad sized nibs. The size of the nibs decides how thick the line will be written on the paper. It controls the flow of ink. If you have well-spaced handwriting, go for a broad tip. If your handwriting is close-spaced, it is best to choose a fine tip or a medium tip.
Do not choose heavy fountain pens right at the beginning. You will get used to the weight when you keep using them for quite some time. As a beginner, choose lightweight materials like aluminium or resin.
Cartridge v/s converter
Fountain pens do not come pre-loaded with an ink refill. You need to fill in the ink from the ink bottle, which may be troublesome when you do it for the first few times. A converter helps to draw the ink from a bottle and feed the pen. This needs a bit of practice to get used to and is expensive too. Instead, beginners would feel comfortable with the cartridges that come loaded with ink. You can easily insert them inside the pen and start writing.
Price is the biggest concern for beginners who would like to invest in a good fountain pen for the first time. Therefore, go for a less expensive brand to understand the working of a fountain pen and get habituated to its feel. Once you start having the pleasure of writing, you can go for expensive ones. Brands like Lamy, Pilot Metropolitan, and Faber Castell make the best fountain pens for beginners.
End your search for the best fountain pens for beginners here
Do you want to try fountain pens but do not understand which ones to begin with? You know, we all have that moment in life when we are doing something for the first time, and our head is only full of so many questions! For many of us, a pen is an essential tool when it comes to writing, but many just focus on finishing their work without thinking much about the pen and stuff. I remember, half the time, I would lose interest in writing because the flow of the pen was not smooth. Even the grip of the pen needs to be perfect.
Also, a fountain pen is different. The nib, ink, everything must be of good quality to get a rich writing experience. It is especially vital for beginners, as starting with the best tools enhances productivity and efficiency. For all my pen lover friends, who are in a dilemma and are in search of the best fountain pens for beginners, I have listed out a few fountain pens; please have a look.
Lamy Vista Fountain Pen Demonstrator, Clear Fine Nib (L12F)
You can ask any of your peers or associates who loves to collect pens; they must be in possession of one Lamy pen, be it ballpoint or fountain or any. This brand offers you a classic yet modern design.
- It is made of ABS (Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene) plastic.
- The country of origin is Germany.
- It has a steel polished nib.
- Its barrel body is transparent.
- It comes with a Lamy ink cartridge T 10.
- It can be adjusted for use with a Z 24 converter.
- The fine nib is great for beginners.
- Even on low quality papers, it works smoothly.
- The ink does not dry up even if the loaded nib is kept overnight.
- This pen is a bit thicker, which might be a negative point for some users.
Pilot MR Metropolitan Collection Gold Tone Fountain Pen, Medium Nib (91110)
Pilot Metropolitan fountain pens are known for their classy design, sophistication, and performance. The Metropolitan collection from Pilot offers a great quality experience to the users.
- Its premium metal barrel is finished in gold tone.
- It comes with a pull cap design.
- It is made in Japan.
- It includes one Black Ink Cartridge and one Press-plate converter for bottled ink.
- Its stainless steel nib gives smooth writing.
- One can fill it with IC50 and IC100 cartridges or converter for the bottled ink.
- It is compatible with the CON50 piston converter.
- It can work wonders for the novice.
- Getting the cartridge inside the right way can be an issue.
GOLD LEAF JINHAO X450 Fountain Pen Medium Nib
Jinhao brings the most affordable fountain pens to its customers. You might not expect much when you would buy this fountain pen, but if it has made it to the best fountain pens for beginners list, it will surely surprise you when you use it.
- It is a medium size pen with a fine point type.
- It has a line size of 0.7mm.
- This particular model is available in red ice color.
- It is lightweight, and its grip is ribbed for perfect hold.
- The country of origin is China.
- It is made of environmentally safe and recyclable materials.
- Even while writing in fast track mode, it is balanced, does not give you pain.
- Beginners are at an advantage as they would not have to invest much for a quality fountain pen like this.
- Its cap ad body fit is so perfect that you do not have to worry about the leaks.
- It can turn out to be a fantastic gift.
- If you are looking for a flexible nib, Jinhao X450 does not have that.
PILOT Varsity Fountain Pens
I will give you a mantra today. Whenever it comes to buying a pen, and when you are in a doubt, trust the Pilot pens. If you do the cost-benefit analysis, they are superior in quality for the price they take. You do not have to save your pocket money for months to get Pilot pens. They might come across as some regular pens, but you will tend to buy them again and again once you use them. They also have a variety of pens, including some of the best fountain pens for beginners.
- It has a precision laser cut medium point stainless steel nib.
- This model is available in various ink colors.
- Its body is made of plastic.
- It has got a retro style barrel.
- The country of origin is the United States of America.
- Its most significant advantage over other fountain pens is that it does not burn a hole in your pocket. It is inexpensive.
- It is excellent for beginners who are trying their hand at fountain pens for the first time. Even if you end up damaging it, it will not be much of a loss to you.
- It has an advanced liquid ink system that enables smooth writing. Many left-handed people prefer this pen as they do not face difficulties in ink flow.
- It has a visible ink supply so that you prepare a back up when you are about to run out of ink.
- Many users say that they work super fine even after a year or so.
- Sometimes, ink leaks can be an issue.
Guys! I have presented the best fountain pens available for beginners who can use them to get the hang of fountain pens before jumping to advanced ones. Every product with so many advantages does have certain negative points as well. But, with the best fountain pens for beginners listed here, pros outnumber the cons. You know you can use fountain pens to learn calligraphy when you are a newbie, as the calligraphy pens have similar barrel bodies and nib structures. Now, it is up to you to weigh all the pros and cons and decide which fountain pen you want to buy.
Finding the best fountain pens for beginners just got easy. Take these useful tips to understand how to select a fountain pen for the first time. Our list of best products would let you regain the sentiments long associated with these vintage style pens. Recreate the magic on paper by choosing a charming pen to rule your collection.